Six members of two families, including a woman and infant, were burnt alive when a stock of mats caught fire due to the carelessness of passers-by on Friday.
The tragic incident occurred in a village Bhatti near the shrine of Pir Mitha (Sanawan) some 80 kilometres from the city. Rescue 1122 official Dr Irshad Ahmed said the makeshift houses of labourers and the entire stock of mats and other products of grass were reduced to ashes.
DPO Awais Ahmed Malik said someone had thrown a live cigarette on the heap of mats which caught fire. Consequently, six persons including a woman, a teenage girl and four minors died. Sanawan SHO Amjad Khalid said fire fighters were able to extinguish the fire after six hours.
The victims were identified as Hania (18 months), Arsalan (4), Hamid (8), Naureen (14), Amna (25) and her son Tahir Abbas. Haleema, wife of Imran, was seriously injured and shifted to the DHQ Hospital.